How we perceive the unknown determines how available we make it to ourselves as a resource in the creative process. The unknown - or "fertile void" - is the place of pure creative potential, waiting to be formed and shaped into being. The void is there, always waiting to co-create with us.
By learning how to befriend it, it can become your most trusted, generative, generous, co-creative partner in any endeavor. You can access deep, novel, and surprising levels of your own unique creative brilliance.
To befriend the unknown:
• Change the lens you see for seeing it. See it like a fertile, alive garden to be cultivated.
• Embrace it as your co-creative partner.
• Start consciously engaging it in low-risk ways until you get more comfortable with it.
• Allow yourself to be an explorer on a expedition without pre-conceived
expectations of what should or will emerge. Trust yourself and the process.
• Give the unknown space, time and attention to get to know it as you would with
any new relationship you valued.
• Allow yourself learn its "language." It speaks to your whole brain and your body. In addition
to words, it can also speak in images, feelings, energy, sudden insights and connections.
• Be open. Have fun with it. Play with a variety of creativity tools, techniques
and approaches to engage it without needing it to fit any expecations.
The more of your brain and senses you engage, the easier it becomes to connect with it and experience it as a life-giving creative force. Let it be messy and uncomfortable. Play with it withouht judgement! As with mastering any new skill, navigating the unknown is an ongoing process. It gets easier over time.
The more you work and play with the unknown as your co-creative BFF, the more confident you become in the creative process…and in your own unique creative expression. And the more creatively vibrant and alive you become...and the more you express your creative uniqnueness in the world!
This was taken from the chapter I wrote for the "Sparks of Genius" daily thoughts to go with the Genensis of Genius Book in 2013. More at http://consciousshift.me/day-5-4-making-unknown-bff-michelle-james/
By Michelle James©2013